The other night I had an acorn squash to cook and so I looked online for a good pasta recipe to incorporate the tasty vegetable and not finding one that was exactly what I wanted, I combined a few to create this tasty recipe.
Pasta with Roasted Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh herbs (such as thyme, rosemary and sage)
- Pasta of your choice (I used tricolore fusilli)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, preferably fresh, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss the squash pieces in olive oil to coat. Season with salt, pepper and herbs. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta according the the cooking directions on the box.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-hot heat until butter is foamy and brown in color. Add garlic and herbs to taste.
- Toss the squash in the butter. Add to the pasta and toss together. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
The nutty flavor of the squash and brown butter sauce are great. Use the herbs with caution. I think sage would actually be best here but I didn’t have any. The Parmesan cheese balances the dish nicely, so make sure you add some. It’s also really great the next day as leftovers, so try it and let me know what you think!